1.30.2015

Marital Relations.

The end of last year--losing so many people we cared about in such a small time frame--was incredibly difficult on my marriage.  Despite the fact that we have been together and present for each other's traumas, it is difficult to understand the individualized experience of another person.  I often find myself trying to push my grief aside, thinking "Well, no matter what happened, you didn't lose your mother...You need to be strong for your husband."  My husband, meanwhile, told me his thought process is similar; he finds himself pushing aside his emotions, thinking "She just lost two people, now she has to hold your hand through this.  You need to be stronger for her."

While this is a form of distraction--an easy way not to focus on the barrage of insane emotions these losses have brought up--it has also made me open my eyes to one of the most difficult conflicts I've ever faced: how to balance my need for support with my marital oath to be a supporter.

In the beginning, when our wounds were still fresh and we were flitting in and out of denial, we encountered a level of tension that we'd never felt in our relationship before.  We were each in a highly emotional, vulnerable state.  We each felt as though we'd been locked in dark rooms, and as we searched for a way out, we became more and more frantic....  Unable to handle our own feelings, we put all of our effort into ignoring them.   My husband withdrew emotionally--thinking that refusing to acknowledge his grief might prevent him from experiencing it--and I threw myself into my every day life with a vigor, trying to wrap myself up in a blanket of routine and monotony.

Suddenly, and for the first time in our relationship, it felt like we were no longer partners.  It was as if he was standing a few feet away from me, but I was unable to reach him because the earth was splitting apart between us.  I felt scared and helpless and powerless as I watched this great divide grow into the grand canyon.

I wish I could say that we recognized the need to communicate immediately, but we were both so wrapped up in our own experience of loss that we were unable to see clearly or think rationally.  Instead of turning to each other for support, we turned inward.

We each found ourselves in a place of righteous indignation; each of us bitter with the other for failing to see our desperation and misery, for being unable to save each other.  Our home, usually filled with laughter, was quiet.  We each clung to our side of the bed at night, making the distance between us palpable.

We went on that way for a couple of the most miserable months of our marriage until one day it all just came out.  I don't remember exactly what spurred the conversation, but all of a sudden we were speaking to each other again and finally saying things that mattered.  Instead of talking about what to make for dinner or what had happened at work or what we'd heard on the news that day, we began talking about what we were feeling--what we were experiencing.

It turned out to be the the same.

We discussed how hurt and lost and unsupported and alone we felt; how scared we were about the growing space between us.  We talked about how we had no idea how to proceed--how to sort through everything and heal.  We were finally able to take off our bandages and be vulnerable with each other.

I wish I could say that every day since that conversation has been perfect, that we've figured out how to balance our personal needs with the needs of the other, but the truth is that this is new territory and we still stumble frequently.  What I've learned, however, is that I need to take my husband's hand when I'm falling.  I've learned that I need to share with him in order to create safe space for him to share.

Yes, the earth is still cracked between us and there still is some distance to overcome, but now that we've built the bridge, it's just a matter of making our way across...

We probably should have went with a more sturdy model, huh?


I'm not sure how long it'll take us, but I do know that we'll get there.  While I wish things could've played out differently---that we had more time with our loved ones, that we'd been able to process each experience individually instead of sifting through a pile of grief--but I can't get hung up on all of that.  I have an obligation to myself and my husband to get through this in a way that is healthy.  I have no choice but to accept life despite the terms and conditions in the fine print.

I've learned that our love is stronger than we ever knew and that honesty, vulnerability, empathy and compassion have a lot to do with that.  I've learned that grief makes you do and feel some fucked up things--things that aren't even close to the scope of reality.  I've also gained a lot of perspective; I've realized that every day my loved ones are breathing is a day to celebrate.  I've realized that in the scope of life and death, not a whole lot really matters....  The important things are the people you are surrounded by--the people who let you lean on them when the world gets dark, the people who love you despite the fact that humans can be pretty unlovable sometimes. Cherish them.  Appreciate them.  Don't take them for granted.  Everything and everyone is finite.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same after our miscarriage on September 3rd, 2013. We had both suffered an enormous loss. After trying for 2 years to conceive...we were elated to find out we were pregnant that year. It was a brief but blissful time...so the blow was almost more than we could bear. I felt so distant then. I couldn't finish anything, couldn't keep up on anything...I was sleep-walking. All I could do was write about it and listen to sad songs ('Wake me up when September ends' by Green Day, 'Pale September' by Fiona Apple, and 'Polly Come Home' by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus were often on repeat as I would write). I was a mess. I felt it was my fault. I had a hard time talking with Michael about it because it would make him sad...and I saw the same was true for him. Neither of us like to see or make the other sad...so there was a lot of avoidance going on for many months. Even though so many women had told me their own experiences...so many had had miscarriages...and they knew how I was feeling and were willing to help in any way...I felt beyond help and totally alone. Even when we finally did become pregnant with Felix last year...we were very cautious so as not to get our hopes up again. I felt I couldn't even celebrate until we were much farther along. I was so scared the same would happen again. But things work out with time...impatient as we, as humans, can be. Sometimes the reasons and revelations are very obvious and somewhat swift...such as it was for us in this case...and sometimes they can be more nebulous and drawn out. But illumination always happens eventually as part of these initiations. The following is a poem I wrote 10 days after losing Phoenyx (called 'Luna's Darker Half')...the second stanza alludes to the same feeling you brought up in this post.

    On the 10th day after The Great Departure
    The impending night falls like a shroud.
    A ghost unveiled, revealed in half-light;
    Shadows cast upon an empty shell.

    I hold my womb as if a memory;
    I hold my husband like a distant dream.
    Both appear just out of reach now...
    Phantom pains in a broken heart.

    So close we were to resolution.
    Heartstrings now stretched and falling flat.
    Discordia sounds that familiar tri-tone,
    A restless interval to wake the dead.

    Another flood from a weakened body...
    Not one of blood, but saline tears,
    And the heaving breath of a wounded mother.
    The panic fear returns once more.

    In The Awakening, I held a promise.
    I felt it grow and touch my soul.
    But all at once, I couldn’t keep it...
    The void within can’t be ignored.

    A week of grief seemed like acceptance,
    But there was pain left unaddressed.
    After some days of new distraction,
    The half-moon lit the unearthed root.

    This dark night is cold and lonesome,
    And deep exhaustion refuses sleep.
    Luna alone in city skyscape...
    The stars all hidden within the noise.

    This is a Test, says the Teacher.
    You have a choice, don’t waste your time.
    Within the deep there’s something thankful;
    The sun returns with a hopeful gift.

    And so I wait with trusting patience;
    Illumination will break this night.
    The dawn will fill the dark with color;
    The day will come when all is healed.

    ReplyDelete